Saturday, April 4, 2009

FNL, and Some Other Wholesome Television

Upon hearing the news that Friday Night Lights would be renewed for another season (from IRNJ&OT), I immediately knew what my next post would be about. FNL is flat out quality television, and I don't even like football. I'd watch the guy who plays Tim Riggins play curling if they made a show about that, although a TV series set in Canada might require its cast to wear more clothing than the current location of Dillon, Texas. Where's the fun in that?

I actually first started watching FNL because of Kyle Chandler. Yep, he plays the middle-aged coach of the Dillon Panthers. Fun fact: his wife on the show, played by Connie Britton, went to Dartmouth in real life and majored in Asian Studies. She is fluent in Chinese. (IMDB is amazing for this sort of thing. Maybe if I spent more time on this site I'd be better at trivia...). The reason I like the actor who plays the coach goes back 10 years (when Kyle Chandler was only about 35 instead of 44, which he is now. He doesn't look that old, I promise). When I was twelve, I started watching a show he starred in called "Early Edition" that aired on CBS. I was constantly fighting with my parents about what TV shows were acceptable for me to watch. My mother seemed to think that 'Friends' and 'Dawson's Creek' were "too sexual" for someone my age. If 'Gossip Girl' had aired ten years ago, I don't even want to think how my mother would have reacted. Things turned out ok as far as my TV viewing was concerned, since I got a TV (and cable!) in my bedroom shortly thereafter and watched whatever I wanted while I was supposedly 'doing my homework,' To this day, I look back and think how rebellious I was at this point in my life. In my family, we have since (unofficially) adopted a policy of just not talking about anything that might be considered controversial by my parents (drinking, sex, etc.). I figure, what they don't know can't hurt them--not that I live a morally reprehensible life or anything. Clearly, this is very healthy for us. I was a psych major, so I would know.

Bottom line is that my parents approved of Early Edition. As it turns out, Kyle Chandler became the first actor I remember having a serious crush on. I'm going to pause for a moment fill you in on what this show was about, since you're probably a bit confused, and apparently no one has heard of this gem. Contrary to what the title would suggest, Early Edition is not a 5pm news show designed for senior citizens who eat dinner at 4pm and can't stay up for the regular 6 o'clock news. Instead I give you this summary:

"His name is Gary Hobson. He gets tomorrow's newspaper today. He doesn't know how. He doesn't know why. All he knows is when the early edition hits his doorstep, he has twenty-four hours to set things right." - IMDB.com

If that isn't the basis for compelling television, I don't know what is. Gary would have to prevent all sorts of crises in high-pressure situations. In the pilot, he lost his job as a stockbroker, and woke up the next morning to find the paper on his doorstep. He became a bartender to pay the bills, which meant he basically could just go off and save the world during the day while leaving the store in the care of his blind friend Marissa and his former stockbroker buddy Chuck. In general, the show has a very positive message, which is why my parents approved of it. Gary only used the paper for good, although I'm sure you can see the potential to abuse this gift. In the pilot, Gary used the paper to win some money at the race track, since he could conveniently find the winning horses in the sports section. Instead of turning to the metaphorical dark side, though, our hero decided to use his winnings to buy a guide dog for Marissa, and then made the bold choice to help innocent people from all sorts of freak accidents on a weekly basis. I can't even express how much I loved this show! It should NEVER have been cancelled. Sadly, it isn't ever replayed on TV, so I'm not sure many other people loved it as much as I did. Anyway, the fact that FNL has been renewed makes me think that there is, in fact, justice in the world of television. Kyle Chandler deserves it.

******

Oh, one more thing. The FNL season finale is next Friday. Can't wait! Who wants to watch with me? The last few episodes have been pretty intense, with last night's episode covering the state finals and JD's issues with his parents. Personally, I think Lyla is being kind of stupid for turning down Vanderbilt to be with Riggins at San Antonio state, but now that there are two more seasons, we'll get to see where things go with the two of them. I don't even want to think about Matt possibly leaving Julie Taylor to go to college in Chicago, since they finally got back together. Sorry if I spoiled the plot at all for you, but you should have watched last night. At least I didn't give away what happened in the state finals. You're on your own for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment